Well, the last batch of sloe gin I made for Christmas has well and truly been drunk! Everyone who tried a tipple of the 2011 brew has complimented on such a great flavour too especially for such a young bottle. I only allowed it eight weeks before decanting and drinking.
I made a point of taking some to my local shoot as most of the members there also make their own and are quite adept at it. Feedback there was a resounding thumbs up of which I took as a pass for this particular recipe which can be found here.
So, to this years… Same recipe, however this time I have made some modifications to the kiln jars making them far more air and of course water tight. This I hope will stop some of the alcohol evaporating. I noticed just before I decanted last years that the seal was not good. I've backed off on the amount of sugar this time, opting instead to add sugar as I go to suit taste, I'm also planning on leaving the sloes in a little longer this time. I shall taste test after 3 or four weeks when I go to turn them.
The sloes I'm using for this years are from a different area, not that it will probably make the slightest difference other than these were picked from Blackthorn bushes that grow right along the river bank. When I picked them, they did seem to be a little more plump than some I had picked the day before… we will see! At least this lot will have almost a year to mature before once again it gets drunk over the Christmas break and not lasting much longer than the festive week…